The Church of the Good Shepherd, Thimbirigasyaya, is a "beautiful little church"
which was built in 1867, and belongs to the Church of Ceylon, which is a part of the wider Anglican Communion (Church of England in the United Kingdom)
As such, this church upholds and proclaims "one, holy, catholic and apostolic faith" - based on the Scriptures; and interpreted in the light of tradition, scholarship, and reason. Following the teachings of Jesus Christ, its membership is committed to the proclamation of the Good News of the Gospel to the whole of creation. Central to our worship is the celebration of the Holy Eucharist (also called Holy Communion and the Lord’s Supper). The principal focus of our vision and mission in and around the Jawatte Road area - and beyond - are worship, fellowship, discipleship, evangelism, and service.
Having a history of over 140 years, the church was Built by Rev. J. Thurston, and was dedicated on the 1st of March 1867. The efforts of Rev. G. B. Ekanayake and Mr. T. S. Grigson paved the way for the church to be repaired and re-furbished by the end of March 1895. The parish and the building associated with it were re-consecrated as the Church of the Good Shepherd, and dedicated for service again on the 4th of April 1895.
Good Shepherd has catered over the years since then to the changing demography of the community it serves. Regular Sinhala services came to an end in 1912, with the urbanization of Thimbirigasyaya and its environs. The church premises were offered for use by the Malayalam Mission, for services conducted in Malayalam, to meet the needs of the large number of Malayalees working at the Wellawatte Spinning and Weaving Mills. Tamil services were also started about this time. Regular English services began in 1944. These continue to this day. A combined service in all three languages - Sinhala, Tamil and English - is now held every fourth Sunday.